That will be the last cheesy wedding reference. I promise.
I read a book about the wedding industry last summer that mentioned the industry's attempts to appeal to the "nontraditional bride." This creature was defined as the bride who cares more about her marriage than her wedding. Slightly rarer than the spotted owl.
I got engaged recently, and have already been asked by several people to promise I won't become a Bridezilla or a Princess spouting out "It's My Day" whenever possible. I promise. I also expect that I'll disappoint the wedding industry and be one of those nontraditional wives-to-be. I was never the sort of girl to imagine my dream wedding or picture myself as a bride, at least not outside nightmares of looking like a five-foot-tall puff pastry. And once I learn to think of the word "marriage" without feeling too young and immature for the whole institution, I'm sure I'll care about it far more than one big day, even if it's allegedly Mine.
But since we're getting married, I'll be some sort of bride, and that means all the silliness: bridal magazines, poofy white dresses, bridesmaid dress politics, seating arrangements, floral arrangements, name changes, guest lists, locations and invitations, and probably a freak-out or two along the way.
There seemed to be too much absurdity there to keep it to myself. So, enjoy the blog.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment