Tuesday, February 26, 2008

The New Me?

I Googled "Arielle Harrison" the other day. Just wanted to see who else had staked out the name.

For 26 years, I've been the only person with my name on the planet (as far as Google and I can tell). This has typically irritated me. Unique means spelling it for everyone you meet, repeating it over and over again, and wishing for a name like "Ann Lee."

I've ranted before in other places about the inconveniences of having two last names. People think I'm married. Or they think one is a middle name, and that I'm pretentious. It may have seemed cutting-edge back in the early '80s, but at least in the popular imagination, the whole two-name thing apparently didn't catch on.

Of course, the real problem with the two names (for the uninitiated: one is my mom's, the other is my dad's) is the looming question of what you do when you get married or have kids. If giving your child both parents' names is some sort of strike against the sexist notion that only a man's name counts enough to be passed on, what is the next generation supposed to do?

I have some time to think of the child part, but marriage is coming. I figure these are my options:
Give up my last names, take Rick's (feminism be damned)
Keep my name (simplicity be damned)
Add Rick's name and use three last names (logic and dignity be damned)
Combine last names and make up a new one (the point of last names be damned)
Give up last names, insist on being referred to as Arielle (gag reflex be damned)

I'd always planned on giving up my last name and just taking my husband's, the feminism-be-damned scenario. Well, that was the stated plan, anyway. Now that I'm faced with the prospect, it doesn't seem so easy. It may be the choice of 90 percent of married women, but something about changing your name seems strange. In my head a long line of independent, strong women are shaking their heads, disappointed.

I have an excuse, I tell myself. Having two names makes it more complicated than the simple, change-or-no-change decision. I figure I'd keep mine if it were a simple, singular name. The one I've got makes it look like I'm already married to someone. And if I have a husband and (imaginary) kids with another last name, that seems odd. I'd like to be one family with one name.

Still, I want to know what I'm getting into with the name. Hence, Google. What kind of a person is an Arielle Harrison?

There are only a handful, it turns out. One appears to be a runner of some sort, possibly a student at Brigham Young. One apparently lives in Mississippi and describes herself as "a nice big boned girl who luvs 2 play these games when im bored but they r fun 2 play." One is apparently 37 and from Latvia. None seem to be convicted felons, or at least, aren't on any Top 10 Most Wanted lists, which is a plus.

Why exactly does this matter? I'm not sure it does. Perhaps Googling your name with your honey's last name is this century's answer to cursive doodling of an imaginary married name, though I'd been playing with the name "Arielle Harrison" in my head long before I thought to try Google.

Does it matter what the other people with my would-be name do? Would that somehow color the name, or perhaps some cosmic sense of what being an Arielle Harrison means? (For those of you with common names, this is probably a rather silly point. I'd imagine my friends Elizabeth Williams and Brian Lee don't much bother with this line of questioning.)

I suppose what I'm really trying to scope out is a new version of me, with a new name and some sort of legal commitment to another person. How much is name tied to identity? Would I really be giving up something of myself (aside from annoyance) if I give up my name? And if not, why does it seem like such a strangely weighty decision?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been thinking about this since we talked, actually. I think ultimately, as long as your choice makes you happy, then don't worry about what anyone else thinks.

If you do decide to change, you'll still have your byline. As for the kids, I will tell you that the only difficulty in having a different last name than your mother comes from the financial aid department of whatever college you send your kids to. Yale misfiled my mom's returns -- without fail -- every year. Otherwise, your name's yours alone, whatever you choose it to be. You'll still be you.

You're right -- I don't think much about this, partly because when the time comes to choose for me, Williams and Gilmore are almost even in terms of popularity. Though I do think the latter sounds prettier (feminism be damned). Anyway, I thought the whole point is that WE GET to make this choice, rather than go along with what everyone else did before us. And hey, if it feels wrong, you can always change back.

KHBirdman said...

LOOK AT ALL THE FAMOUS HARRISONS THAT YOU'D HAVE THE SAME LAST NAME WITH:

Alvin Harrison, U.S. athlete
Anna Harrison, wife of U.S. President William Henry Harrison
Arthur Leyland Harrison, Victoria Cross recipient
Ashley Harrison, Australian rugby league footballer
Audley Harrison, professional boxer
Benjamin Harrison, U.S. President
Benjamin Harrison V, U.S. planter and revolutionary
Caroline Harrison, wife of U.S. President Benjamin Harrison
Charles Custis Harrison, American university provost
David Harrison (basketball), basketball player
David H. Harrison, Canadian premier
Dhani Harrison, musician, son of former Beatle George Harrison
Douglas Patrick Harrison, chemical engineer
Ella Harrison, cute baby
Elizabeth Harrison, daughter of U.S. President Benjamin Harrison
Francis Burton Harrison, politician
George Harrison, musician and member of the Beatles
Gregory Harrison, American television actor
Harry Harrison, author
Henry Baldwin Harrison (b.1821), Connecticut governor
Henry C. Harrison (1836-1929), Australian rules football pioneer
Henry Thomas Harrison (a.k.a. "Harrison"), a spy for the Confederacy during the American Civil War
Hubert H. Harrison (1883-1927), African-American socialist and activist described as "the father of Harlem radicalism"
James Harrison, several people, British, Canadian and Australian
Jane Ellen Harrison (1850-1928), classical scholar
Jerry Harrison, musician with the Talking Heads
J.M.Harrison spiritual guide, Mystic and innovative healer
John Harrison, clock-maker
John Harrison (VC 1857), Victoria Cross recipient India
Ilisa Harrison, Mother To Ella
John Harrison (VC 1917), Victoria Cross recipient WWI
Kevin Harrison, Email Blogger
Lance Harrison, CPA
Linda Harrison, actress
Lou Harrison, composer
Marvin Harrison, NFL wide receiver
Mary Dimmick Harrison, wife of U.S. President Benjamin Harrison
M. John Harrison, writer
Pat Harrison, American politician
Randy Harrison, American actor
Rex Harrison, actor
Rodney Harrison, NFL football player
Steve Harrison, Democratic candidate for the U.S. House of Representatives in 2006
Thomas Harrison (1610–1666), English political figure
Thomas Harrison (1744–1829), English architect
Tom Harrisson, British adventurer, naturalist, ethnographer, and museum curator
Wallace Harrison, architect
Wilbert Harrison, singer
William Harrison (clergyman), clergyman
William B. Harrison, Jr., CEO JPMorgan Chase
William Henry Harrison, U.S. president

Anonymous said...

If you can scroll long enough past Birdman to get to my comment, I'd like to give you my opinion.

I think you should change to Harrison, but totally respect your decision to keep your name should you choose to do so. Some of my thoughts on the matter:

- I think I agreed most with your "one family with one name" comment.
- I would think that changing to Harrison would make a million little administrative things and every social interaction a lot less irritating
- FYI, my wife took my last name but replaced her middle name with her maiden name - so this is yet another option (middle names be damned)
- My wife is Catholic but now has an unmistakable Jewish last name - that always makes for interesting interactions on the phone ("I didn't know you were Jewish") or in person ("You know, you really don't look Jewish")
- My wife's late Aunt kept her maiden name, but mostly because she was a doctor and all her patients already knew her as "Dr. Moore" and she felt it was just easier to keep it that way. Couldn't you legally change your name but use your current name professionally?

arielle said...

Thanks for the thoughtful, well, thoughts, Perl and Liz! (And that list of fellow Harrisons, Kevin.)

As you suggest (Perl), I'm thinking about keeping my name professionally - it would be complicated to change that all of a sudden, since I do have a byline. Plus it might be cool to have another identity outside of work to hide behind (I mean, uh, have).

And then I'll have the opposite situation as your wife, having a decidedly unJewish name to go with my semitic good looks.

Anonymous said...

I think you should change your name to an unpronounceable glyph. Or just "Chikezie."

Anonymous said...

I think you should legally become a Harrison and professionally stay the same.

If ever you decide to go into a joint venture or co- write a book, you could be Harrioson & Harrison.

You could also sing the song
H-A-double R I, S-O-N spells Harrison!

Rachael said...

Oh how funny... my maiden name was Weiss-Malik (mom-dad's last names) and I've gone through the same thing. My parents wanted their daughter to drop the Malik and their sons to drop the Weiss, but that would have been Weiss-Sirianni and three S's and four i's are just too many for me to handle. In the end, I decided to take his name and I am now Rachael Sirianni. Actually, I couldn't commit to it, so I am Rachael Anne Weiss Sirianni, and I go by Rachael W. Sirianni.

In all honesty, the new name doesn't feel wrong, but it will never feel as right as my maiden name did. Maybe in time it will.

Oh well. I wanted to have a family name and I couldn't ask him to take a hyphenated name. It's such a pain anyway. In the end, although it is still "different", I definitely don't regret changing my name. It helps that I love his family. I feel proud to bear their name.

It also helps that there aren't many Rachael Sirianni's :D if it was Rachael Smith I might have been less inclined.

Good luck with your decision!!

Charlin said...

Hey Arielle, I loved reading your blog about this whole name change issue. It's something that I've thought way too much about myself and still cannot seem to come to any satisfactory conclusion. I think you know that I'm a pretty staunch feminist, so I hate the idea of changing my name -- not because I really mind changing my name because it's so tied to my identity or anything -- but because it is such a sexist expectation. What really drives me up the wall is that so many people seems to think that there is no longer a problem since it is now socially acceptable for the woman to just keep her own name. But as long as it's not just as socially acceptable for men to change their name without facing ridicule, this really isn't a solution. As you point out, keeping your own name doesn't really fix things because then you don't have the same name as the rest of the family because your kids will probably take your husband's last name (and like you, I like the idea of one family, one name). Plus, you still don't get to pass your family name on -- it ends with you (unless your male relatives pass it on). How is it okay that the wife doesn't get to share her name with her kids (even though SHE is the one who carries the children for 9 months and has to give birth!) and have her family name passed on from generation to generation? I just have a problem with this is principle. If men changed their names half the time and women changed their names half the time, then I wouldn't really mind changing my name. But the whole institution of name-changing stinks to me. Men don't even think about this. I find it so frustrating to be bound by societal constraints. Our choices are limited because if we demand our husbands to take our name they'll face social ridicule, not to mention having to explain it over and over -- so it really isn't a viable option. Despite lots and lots of thought (as you can tell from my rant) I just can't seem to come up with any satisfactory solution. Please let me know if you do!!!