
One of my favorite eyesores along the urban planners' nightmare that is Route 18 in East Brunswick: The Divorce Center.
It's just down the block from David's Bridal. I'm not really sure what you do at one, aside from the obvious, or whether they sell gum and magazines at the checkout counter to go with your petitions for alimony and parenting classes.
But there's something so...I'm not sure what...appropriate to our culture's current track record on marriage...about these storefront divorce shops. I mean, hell, at a Divorce Center, you can do it by mail! And, for you enterprising types, you can even open a Divorce Center franchise.
I don't think it's quite as lucrative as the marriage industry (a multimillion-dollar Connecticut divorce case notwithstanding), but is it any wonder people are trying to cash in on this end of the business?
The sanctity of commerce, at least, is alive and well.

No comments:
Post a Comment