
(Hopefully with more accuracy than the presidential polls.)
Our early-stage wedding planning has come up with the following: We will be married sometime in the late summer/early fall of 2009, somewhere in Connecticut or New England.
We're also doing it on a Sunday, thanks to the religious proclivities of a healthy segment of my family (no travel, etc., on Saturdays).
Which leads us to a bit of a quandary. Do we expect people to come to a Sunday wedding in (in most cases) another state and take off the next day of work? Or do we plan it for a holiday weekend (aka Labor Day)? How much of an inconvenience are you allowed to create to get married? Or do people expect to travel and maybe miss work to see friends or family get married?
Our early-stage wedding planning has come up with the following: We will be married sometime in the late summer/early fall of 2009, somewhere in Connecticut or New England.
We're also doing it on a Sunday, thanks to the religious proclivities of a healthy segment of my family (no travel, etc., on Saturdays).
Which leads us to a bit of a quandary. Do we expect people to come to a Sunday wedding in (in most cases) another state and take off the next day of work? Or do we plan it for a holiday weekend (aka Labor Day)? How much of an inconvenience are you allowed to create to get married? Or do people expect to travel and maybe miss work to see friends or family get married?
If you wonder why this is even a question, you're obviously on the bride's side. You see, dear friends and family, Sept. 6, 2009 (besides being my brother's anniversary) happens to fall on a Sunday in that sacred time of year called football season (or, in my future husband's case, Jets-induced agony).
So, in the interest in polling the masses, please weigh in and identify with any of the following (I'd suggest comments, at least until I can figure out how to get a poll up on blogger):
_ If you get married on a non-holiday Sunday, I won't come to your wedding
_ If you get married on a non-holiday Sunday, I'll come, but secretly resent you for years
_ I love missing work, so please get married on a Sunday, anytime!
_ Screw religion; get married on a Saturday to avoid missing a football game
_ Screw football; get married on the Sunday before Labor Day
_ Get married at Giants Stadium
_ How 'bout Memorial Day?
(And for kicks)
_ Hillary
_ Obama
_ McCain
_ Gravel

2 comments:
heh... guess who's on shift? Um, I'll vote for "I love missing work, so please get married on a Sunday, anytime!" Who knows where the hell I'll be anyway by then ... Damn, I'll be Dr. liz by then!
Oh yah, and Obama. But you know this already.
Somehow the Jets will still find a way to be mathematically eliminated from the playoffs by then.
If most of your guests will be coming from out of state, then they're more likely to commit to a day off anyway - i.e., Friday for a Saturday wedding, or Monday for a Sunday wedding.
And if it helps, please note:
1) I had a Sunday wedding
2) It was WAY out-of-state (Hilton Head, SC)
3) It was about a month after 9/11/01 and people were still afraid to get on a plane.
And yet we still had a great turnout, with many people making an extra-long weekend out of it. Plus, some people even DROVE 16 hours from NYC since they didn't want to fly (crazy, huh?).
Adding some extra obstacles will eliminate those guests that you could care less whether they come or not (and don't pretend you don't have those - I think we Jews have more than most).
Bottom line - screw whoever you want. They'll still send you a gift.
Post a Comment